Alternative Mesothelioma Treatments
Acupuncture has been suggested as a palliative form of treatment for mesothelioma patients undergoing chemotherapy. It has shown to decrease nausea, a common complaint of patients undergoing chemotherapy. Acupuncture is used to relieve pain and promote a healthy flow of energy through the body and its use has recently increased in the United States.
This treatment was originally used in China thousands of years ago. It involves the use of extremely thin needles inserted at various points on the body to connect with nerves or meridians. There are some instances where individuals do not respond to this form of treatment, but it is worth trying as many people report feeling energized or calm after treatment and their pain has been relieved as well.
Reflexology has been used in various cultures and historical periods as a form of stress reduction and pain relief. It involves putting pressure using specific hand, thumb and finger techniques to points on the hands and feet.
Benefits of Reflexology
- Pain reduction, post-operative recovery
- Rejuvenation of tired feet
- Improved blood flow
- Enhancement of conventional medical care
- Decrease of common mesothelioma treatment side effects such as nausea and vomiting
Meditation is a holistic discipline used to achieve a deeper state of relaxation or awareness. It has been used in various religions and has been practiced for centuries. There are several different ways of meditating and the practice could be used to relieve stress related to a mesothelioma diagnosis.
Yoga is a movement form of meditation and can be used by patients to relax their central nervous system. Some benefits of practicing yoga are improved coordination and flexibility, reduced stress, and pain relief.
Massage can be used to alleviate several symptoms patients may be feeling from mesothelioma treatments. Massage can:
- Lessen depression and anxiety
- Reduce post-surgery adhesions and swelling
- Release endorphins, the body's natural painkiller
- Enhance immunity by stimulating lymph flow, the body’s natural defense system (Immunity of mesothelioma patients is greatly affected by chemotherapy because it can attack healthy cells in the body)
Taking Herbal & Nutritional Supplements as Part of Mesothelioma Treatment
Doctors and physicians prefer that mesothelioma cancer patients receive their vitamins and minerals in the foods they eat, but in situations where patients are unable to eat or have a very low appetite, supplements play a huge part in mesothelioma treatment and comfort of the patient. Chemotherapy and radiation lung cancer treatments can deplete the body of integral nutrients such as iron and protein. This can lead to fatigue and a general unwell feeling for the patient. By taking nutritional and herbal supplements, the patient's immune system can be strengthened to improve the quality treatment and well-being.
A free book is available for mesothelioma patients and their families at Mesothelioma Answers. The book, "101 Facts About Mesothelioma", By Dr. Kaplan provides extensive answers to all the most common questions about mesothelioma cancers. Some of these questions include:
- Exactly what is meant by the term mesothelioma?
- Are their different types of mesothelioma? What are the differences?
- What does the word pleura mean?
- Who is at risk for developing mesothelioma?
- Is there a specific cause for mesothelioma? If so, what is it?
- How can mesothelioma be prevented?
- What actually is asbestos?
- What kinds of symptoms might I experience from mesothelioma?
and many, many more. Request your free copy online today.